Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 10:02 pm

My eldest daughter (who is now 19) is a very messy eater.

When she was 1, we used to put a plastic floor mat under her high chair. By the time she was finished, there was more food on the mat than in her high chair tray.

Eventually, we discovered the bib with a “catch tray”. That worked wonders. Until she became too old to wear the bib.

As she grew older, she continued to be an incredibly messy eater. I figured one day she would grow out of it. But it never happened.

Just recently, she just arrived home (from college). Earlier this evening, we had a meal together. It was somewhat gross. I ask her to use her utensils, but she continues to want to pick up food with her fingers. She ends up with food all over her hands. I get a bit annoyed as then she touches other things, leaving a food remnants everywhere (on the cabinets, on the refrigerator door, etc.). Now, I realize I am a bit obsessive about being clean, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. After dinner, I have the urge to hose her off.

By the way, she had this interesting habit, when eating, of putting her fingers into her mouth. As an example, most people, when they eat a potato chip, maybe will touch their fingers to their mouth. If that. She actually inserts her fingers ~ 1” into her mouth.

It’s sort of disturbing watching her eat. It’s worse, because I don’t look people in the eyes. I look them in the mouth. So, I have the extra bonus of having to watch this.

My younger daughter is totally opposite. A very neat eater -- like her father :)

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone here had to deal with messy eaters. And, more importantly, how they dealt with it. Many years ago, I envisioned placing a mirror directly across from her. So, she could see how gross it was. Unfortunately, I never did that. Any ideas?

NewAspieMom
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm

My son does this. He is eight now, and just being diagnosed with Asperger's. He also eats mostly with his fingers, and puts his hand all in his mouth too! It's remarkable how messy he can be. When he eats anything slightly wet, like yogurt, it ends up completely over his face and shirt.
Our newest doctor says OT will help. I am very hopeful, I feel that socially it will just be nicer not to be the only one in school with a circle of food around him at lunch.
I'd say at 19 perhaps your daughter may still benefit from therapy? I'd not want to feel embarrassed by food mess at college :oops:

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 12:24 pm

NewAspieMom wrote:
My son does this. He is eight now, and just being diagnosed with Asperger's. He also eats mostly with his fingers, and puts his hand all in his mouth too! It's remarkable how messy he can be. When he eats anything slightly wet, like yogurt, it ends up completely over his face and shirt.
Our newest doctor says OT will help. I am very hopeful, I feel that socially it will just be nicer not to be the only one in school with a circle of food around him at lunch.
I'd say at 19 perhaps your daughter may still benefit from therapy? I'd not want to feel embarrassed by food mess at college :oops:

Thanks for the reply. I did ask my daughter about her eating habits. She insisted that she is not messy when eating with others at school. I have no idea if this is true (or not).

Regarding therapy. It’s possible she may benefit from therapy. Though, I wouldn’t suggest therapy (to her) for this issue (messiness), but perhaps for other issues including anxiety and obsessive behaviors. But, I am not certain if these issues are constraining her. As a note, she is also struggling academically and I have suggested (to her) that she be tested for a learning disability. She is considering that.

simplyme1971
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2015, 7:13 pm

I literally laughed out loud for this thread... rings true here! I try to calmly remind him to sit with his legs straight ahead, facing the table, and make sure the plate is close enough to him while he eats... especially if he has ketchup, or his newfound organic ranch dressing, which is at every meal :-)

I will give a spoon for pasta and small cut up veggies since he cannot maneuver a fork as easily with the slippery pasta spirals. A napkin in the lap will help prevent food fall stains, or I just keep lots of spray and wash to clean it up later... always check pants, shorts, and long sleeve edges... elbows even. The dog knows who to sit near :-)

My son is now 14, and I still have to be mindful. I stopped for a while as I didnt want him to think I babied him, but his habits definitely slipped. He needs reminders in a way that he is not being told what to do, just with a smile and a calm tone while I sit with him. If Im not eating, I sit with my coffee and chat.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 7:32 pm

simplyme1971 wrote:
I literally laughed out loud for this thread... rings true here! I try to calmly remind him to sit with his legs straight ahead, facing the table, and make sure the plate is close enough to him while he eats...

Thanks for sharing.

It's so funny. My youngest daughter sits at the table, with with one foot "perched" on the chair. Something like below:

Every meal, I say, "Put both feet under the table". Then, when I look away, back up it goes.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 10:34 am

Yup. My 7 year old daughter (asd) is a very very messy eater. Eats with her hands unless we harass her to use a fork, food everywhere. My other daughter (5) is actually a bit less messy and does better with the utensils.

smilinglv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2015, 5:01 am

my son does that sometimes . i also don't know how to change him . just tell him shouldn't be like this .but always useless . annoying ....